Enjoy Your Application!
Program your LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT with tools from IAR Systems! Free 128KB special edition of IAR Embedded Workbench for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT now available.
We want to provide the MINDSTORMS community with the same set of professional tools that are used by the MINDSTORMS development team for programming the Atmel AT91 device. The new edition is especially suitable for universities.
Special edition for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
IAR Embedded Workbench is a set of development tools for building and debugging embedded system applications using assembler, C and C++. It provides a completely integrated development environment that includes a project manager, editor, build tools and the C-SPY debugger.
IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM special edition for LEGO is 128kB code limited and includes device support for Atmel AT91SAM7S256 with example projects specific for LEGO MINDSTORMS.
What you need
- One LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT
- IAR Embedded Workbench for LEGO MINDSTORMS
- LEGO MINDSTORMS Firmware Open Source
- A debug probe that works in IAR Embedded Workbench
- A ribbon cable with a 1,27 pitch connector and a JTAG connector
- A soldering iron and solder
- A small Philips head screwdriver
- An electronic precision wire cutter
- A desoldering pump (Solder sucker)
- A 1.27 mm x 1.27 mm 16-pin (2x8) dual row pinheader connector
How to start
- Follow the soldering guide
- Download IAR Embedded Workbench for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
- Download LEGO MINDSTORMS Firmware open Source
- Now you can start to compile and debug
In addition can a 20 state free evaluation edition of IAR visualSTATE also be downloaded for free. IAR visualSTATE is a set of highly sophisticated and easy-to-use development tools for designing, testing and implementing embedded applications based on state machines.
This is a free edition and we therefore refer to the LEGO MINDSTORMS community for support and inspiration.
DISCLAIMER: You have to open the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT and solder on PCB. Please note that the LEGO Group warranty of the NXT is invalid after doing this. Neither IAR Systems nor the LEGO Group will take any responsibility of damages done to your NXT once it has been opened. We strongly recommend previous knowledge of soldering on PCB and open electronics.