Adding a Subversion version string in binary
Technical Note 57192
2/8/2018 6:14 AM
How to add a version string from Subversion in the executable?
Use the Subversion program
svnversion.exe to produce version strings.
- Set a pre-build action to call an appropriate script.
- Create a script creating a C source file with a version string.
- Include the created C source in your project.
- Do not include the created C source in your version archive.
- Optionally, use the version string in your code.
- If so, suggest to create and use a headerfile as done in the example code.
- Optionally, add a post-build action to remove the created C source.
Download Example (TN57192).zip for more details.
You may want to look at the screenshots in the example file first.
Has been tested
- with IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM version 6.50.3.
- with IAR Embedded Workbench for AVR version 6.20.2.
- on Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit.
- with path including blanks.
- with path on another drive letter.
- with path on a UNC share (in other words,
Set Tools > Options > Messages > Show build messages > 'All' to get messages from bat file in the Build Log window.
Follow this advice to get a Subversion version string added in the executable.
All product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.