This FAQ applies to products in Lic Manager 2.XX, our latest Licence Management System (LMS2).
Activation and installation
- How can I activate my license if my computer is not connected to the Internet?
You can use the Offline Activation feature see ”Licensing Guide” for more info.
- Can I alternate between licenses for different product variants of my IAR Embedded Workbench product?
Yes, this is described in tech note 39232.
- Can I use an old LMS1-based version in parallel with my LMS2-based version?
Yes, LMS1-based and LMS2-based products can be installed on the same PC and use the same license number.
- How do I install my license?
Installation instructions are provided in the “Installation and Licensing Quick Reference”, on the installation media and in the installed product.
- How do I update to the latest version?
Update instructions are provided in the “Installation and Licensing Quick Reference”, on the installation media and in the installed product.
- I have bought a new license (LMS2) but I like to work with an older (LMS1) version. How can I do that?
Contact Customer Care in your region to obtain an installation key that is specific for the version of the product that you want to use.
- I have been using an old LMS1 version, but I would like to work with a new (LMS2) version. How can I do that?
A new license key must be issued in order for you to use the new LMS2 version. The new key is automatically issued when the new version is installed, provided that your current license has a valid Support and Update Agreement associated with it.
- I have bought a new license with a dongle, but I haven´t received the dongle. I need to start to work right away. Can I do that?
Yes, you can lock the license temporarily to the PC. This option will be presented to you during the Activate License process. You must make a new license activation when your dongle arrives.
- I have a license locked to my PC and now my PC crashed. What do I do?
You must contact Customer Care in your region before you can activate the license on a new PC.
- I have a license locked to a dongle and now my dongle is broken/lost. What do I do?
Contact Customer Care in your region.
Changes in license types
- How can I change my license from standalone to network?
Contact Sales in your region.
- How can I change my license from network to standalone?
Contact Sales in your region.
- I have upgraded my license from limited to standard edition. What do I need to do?
When you have received an e-mail notification from IAR Systems start IAR License Manager, select License>Check for License Renewal, and follow the instructions.
- I have a mobile license that I would like to lock to the PC. What do I need to do?
Contact Customer Care in your region.
- How can I move between a time-limited and a size-limited evaluation version?
If your IAR Embedded Workbench product is using the new license management system (LMS2), you can easily move between a time-limited and a size-limited evaluation version without reinstalling the product, for more information see Technical Note 39232.
- I have bought a dongle to my license that used to be PC locked. What do I need to do?
When you have received an e-mail notification from IAR Systems start IAR License Manager, select License>Activate License, and follow the instructions.
- My dongle has stopped working, or is lost. How do I solve that?
First you must contact Customer Care in your region .When you have received your new dongle, start IAR License Manager, select License>Activate License, and follow the instructions.
- Can I work with a pool of dongles?
Yes, activate all dongles in the pool on all computers that will use them. The last dongle that was activated will be the selected one. If the IAR License Manager detects that the attached dongle does not match the selected license, a pop-up message appears and you will be asked if you want to use the license for the connected dongle instead. Just accept this offer.
- Can I use the old IAR Visual State dongle (version 7.1 or below) with the new version 7.2 and up?
No, the old dongle will not be functional with the newer versions using a LMS2 licenses. If you have an old dongle and update IAR Visual State to version 7.2 or up, your license will automatically be transformed into a PC locked license (System UUID). If you prefer a dongle (cost free), contact CustomerCare.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Activation, installation and updates
- Can the IAR License Server software run on a virtual machine?
Yes, if the locking criteria for you license is System UUID or dongle. If you run into problems, contact Customer Care in your region.
- Do I have to lock my network license to a dongle if I use a virtual server?
No, the license can be locked to the virtual server, but we recommend locking the license to a dongle for portability reasons.
- Can I use the same license server for both LMS1-based and LMS2-based products?
No, LMS1-based and LMS2-based products require different versions of the IAR License Server software.
- Can the FLEXlm license server (used for IAR Visual State versions up to 7.1) and the LMS2 license server (used from version 7.2 of IAR Visual State) be installed on the same computer?
This should not be a problem. If you experience difficulties please send an e-mail to CustomerCare.SE@iar.com.
- Can the LMS1 license server and the LMS2 license server be installed on the same computer?
No, different computers must be used. If you use virtual installations, they can be on the same physical computer. To lock your license to a hardware lock (dongle) on both PCs, you need an additional dongle. This additional dongle will be provided to you by IAR Systems without any additional cost. To order the additional dongle, send an e-mail to CustomerCare.SE@iar.com.
- How do I add users to an existing network license?
First you must contact Sales in your region. When you have received an email from IAR Systems notifying you that the updated license is available, open the IAR License Manager and perform a Check for License Renewal operation.
VPN and sub-networks
- How can I make an LMS1 network server work globally with VPN and different sub-networks?
You must manually point out the server. From the IAR License Manager, choose License>Install and at the bottom of this dialog box specify the license server name.
- How can I make an LMS2 network server work globally with VPN and different sub-networks?
You must manually point out the server. From the IAR License Manager, choose License>Use Network License to open the wizard and then click Add a server.
- Is it possible to disable the “Check out” license functionality on a license server?
Yes, set the maximum number of commuter authorizations to be 0% of the total number of licenses, use the LSERVOPTS environment variable with the -com option on your license server computer: LSERVOPTS=-com 0.