IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430
Complete development toolchain for MSP430 providing one toolbox in one view, giving you one uninterrupted workflow.
Integrated development environment with project management tools and editor. Included are configuration files and example projects for MSP430, linker and library tools, subversion integration, TI ULP Advisor™ Software integration, and a fully integrated static analysis with the add-on C-STAT.
Powerful build tools
IAR Embedded Workbench provides a highly optimizing C and C++ compiler for MSP430. It includes configuration files for all MSP430 devices, relocating MSP430 assembler, run-time libraries, position-independent code and read-only data, support for the hardware multiplier peripheral module and intrinsic functions support power-down modes.
The C-SPY Debugger is a comprehensive debugger with an MSP430 simulator and support for RTOS-aware debugging on hardware. It provides FET debugger support as well as power debugging to visualize power consumption in correlation with source code. In addition, it supports TI's msp430-txt output format.
Integrated code analysis
IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430 provides integrated static code analysis through the add-on product C-STAT, ensuring code quality as well as proving alignment with standards such as MISRA C:2012.
On-demand training included
When you buy a license of IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430, you get access to free training courses through our IAR Academy on Demand offering.
We are constantly updating and refining our tools with new features, new device support and extended capabilities.
Latest version 8.10
- Updated Operating System support
- IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430 is now a 64-bit Windows application and supports Windows 11
- Editor enhancements
- Editor themes
- Syntax feedback
- Window color themes, including dark mode
- Gray out inactive code
- New XLINK linker version 10
- Updated C-STAT
- The static analysis tool C-STAT has extended its coverage of the MISRA C:2012 Coding Standard and now fully supports MISRA C:2012 Amendment 2
- Updated documentation
- Visual Studio Code Extension
- The IAR Build extension available on Microsoft Marketplace enables you to work in Visual Studio Code (with IAR Embedded Workbench installed) to:
- Build IAR Embedded Workbench projects
- Run the C-STAT static analysis tool
- Bug fixes
- New C-SPY command line options added for FRAM devices to use with C-SPY FET Debugger
- Version 1.211 of TI device support files included
- Updated documentation: C/C++ Compiler User Guide and C-SPY Debugging Guide
- Error corrections
The following new devices have been added:
MSP430FR6007, MSP430FR6005, MSP430FR2672 and MSP430FR2673
Elprotronic XStream-Iso and XStreamPro-Iso
Support for the new XStream-Iso and XStreamPro-Iso adapters has been added. See Elprotronic MSP430 products for details.
Improved source browser
The following improvements have been made to the source browser:
- The source browser data is generated faster as it is now running as a separate thread
- New source browser log window
- New status indicator in the status bar
- Enhanced feedback when source browsing data cannot be generated
Several reported issues have been fixed. See release notes of individual components for details.Read full release notes
What type of license do you need?
IAR Embedded Workbench is available in a flexible license model to suit your company needs. Together with our support and update agreements, you get the support you need in multiple time zones and multiple languages. Send a request for quote or contact sales to get started.
- 14-days limit / 8 Kbyte code-size limit
- Free of charge
- For evaluation purposes
- Personal license
- Locked to a specific PC
- Works without network connection
- Personal license with flexibility
- Locked to a USB dongle
- Works without network connection
- Protects license from hardware failure
- For development teams
- Shared pool of licenses
- Managed by license server included in delivery
- Easy to add new users
Volume License Program
- Unlimited number of users
- Complete portability
- Simplified license administration
- Extended technical support
Integrations and related products
Want to know more?
We are present worldwide to help you wherever you are, and we are happy to answer any questions you might have about our products.
Want to use this product in your development projects? Our sales team is here to guide you to the right solution. Complete this form, and we will get back to you with a price quote tailored to your needs. We look forward to your request!
User guides and documentation
- IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Project Management and Building Guide
- MSP430 IAR Embedded Workbench C-SPY Debugging Guide
- MSP430 IAR C/C++ Compiler Reference Guide
- MSP430 IAR Assembler Reference Guide
- IAR Linker and Library Tools Reference Guide
- IAR Embedded Workbench Migration Guide
- Texas Instruments Code Composer Studio Migration Guide
- IAR Embedded Workbench MISRA C:1998 Reference Guide
- IAR Embedded Workbench MISRA C:2004 Reference Guide
- C-STAT Static Analysis Guide
Languages and standards
The IAR C/C++ compilers offer different dialects of the C and C++ programming languages, as well as different extensions specific for embedded programming (please note that not all language standards are supported for all target implementations). The compiler can be instructed to disable extensions for strict conformance to the standards.
A wide range of industry-standard debug and image formats compatible with most popular debuggers and emulators are supported. This includes ELF/DWARF where applicable.
ISO/ANSI C/C++ Compliance
The IAR C/C++ compilers adhere to a freestanding implementation of the following C programming language standards:
- INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899:2018, known as C18 (Latest version only).
- The compiler supports all C++17 features. The C++ library supports C++14 with no C++17 additions. (Latest version only).
- ISO/IEC 14882:2015, known as C++14
- INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899:2012, known as C11
- ANSI X3.159-1989, known as C89
The ISO/ANSI C/C++ Compliance level varies between the different compilers. For complete information, please refer to the IAR C/C++ Compiler user documentation in your chosen product.
IEEE 754 standard
IAR Embedded Workbench supports the IEEE 754 standard for floating-point arithmetic.
MISRA C is a software development standard for the C programming language developed by MISRA, The Motor Industry Software Reliability Association. Its aims are to facilitate code safety, portability and reliability in the context of embedded systems, specifically those systems programmed in ISO C.
The first edition of the MISRA C standard, "Guidelines for the use of the C language in vehicle based software", was produced in 1998. In 2004, a second edition was produced with many substantial changes to the guidelines, including a complete renumbering of the rules. Additionally MISRA C:2012 with extended support and MISRA C++:2008 for identifying unsafe code constructs in the C++ standard have also been added to the standards.
IAR Embedded Workbench features an add-on product C-STAT so you can check compliance with rules as defined by MISRA C:2004, MISRA C++:2008 and MISRA C:2012.
We use the following commercial test suites to test conformance of our tools to the standards:
- Plum Hall Validation test suite for ISO/IEC C conformance
- Perennial EC++ Validation Suite for C++ conformance
- Dinkum C++ Proofer to test how our libraries conform to the C and C++ standard as well as test our STL implementation against the C++ standard.
In addition to the commercial suites, we use several in-house test suites for testing new features, regression testing, corrected errors, etc.
Hardware debugging and RTOS support
Hardware debugging support
- C-SPY FET debugger support for all TI’s FET modules
- Automatic flash download
- Support for the Enhanced Emulation Module gives trace and sequencing functionality
- Connection via USB port
- USB FET interface
- Olimex USB
- Elprotronic USB-FPA
- Support for Spy-Bi-Wire (2-Wire) and 4-wire JTAG protocols
Built-in plugins for:
- OSEK Run Time Interface (ORTI)
- Segger embOS
- Micrium uC/OS-III
- Micrium µC/OS-II
Each RTOS plugin installs a number of new windows in C-SPY, most importantly the task or thread list windows where task-specific breakpoints can be specified and task-specific steps executed. Different inspector windows display the contents of the internal data structures of the RTOS such as timers, queues, semaphores, resources and mailboxes.
Download free trial
IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430 - Free trial version
The evaluation license is completely free of charge and allows you to try the software to evaluate its efficiency and ease of use. You can choose either a 14-days trial version or a size-limited version.
When you click download, you will be asked to register to get your license.
Please note the following for the 14-day time-limited version:
- Time limit for evaluation license is 14 days
- Not allowed to be used for product development or any kind of commercial use
- Source code for runtime libraries is not included
- No support for MISRA C.
- Limited technical support
Please note the following for the Kickstart, size-limited version:
- A 8 Kbyte code size limitation.
- Source code for runtime libraries is not included.
- No support for MISRA C.
- Limited technical support.